Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Lasagna Rolls - It's what's for dinner.


Dinner tonight was the Not Just for Holidays Lasagna Rolls from StickyGooeyCreamyChewy.com. I was happy this was a quick recipe since I waited until late in the day to start cooking. 




I saved some time by leaving out the meat, and I substituted dried Italian seasoning for the basil leaves because I didn't have any. I also eyeballed all the measurements because, again, it's mostly CHEESE, and CHEESE makes everything awesome. Even ice cream!




Is there a difference between lasagna sheets and lasagna noodles? The recipe called for 8 sheets cooked, rolled around the filling and arranged in a 13x9 baking dish. I made exactly 8 noodles and forgot to make extra in case any of the noodles broke. Then it crossed my mind that maybe "sheets" do not equal "noodles", because there was no way I could have stretched out those 8 rolled noodles to fit in a 13x9 baking dish. So I had to make more noodles in order to fill up the pan. Dinner would have been ready that much sooner if I hadn't had to do that.


I used about 1/4 cup of the ricotta mixture in each roll. I didn't spread the filling all the way to the end of the noodle because that made it easier to get the roll started. Just flip the plain end of the noodle over the filling and start rolling!



Everyone was happy with how this turned out. Dinner for tonight, leftovers for tomorrow, and a stash for the freezer too? Sweet.

I think this recipe would have been even better with a homemade marinara or meat sauce. I missed the flavors of onion and garlic, and was kicking myself a little for not adding some kind of meat to the filling. All in all, a good basic recipe with lots of room for modifications.

The verdict: grade: B, will make again but will try using homemade sauce, adding garlic, onions, mushrooms and/or shredded zucchini, or subbing cottage cheese or tofu for some of the ricotta.

Thanks for reading, and happy eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment