Sunday, May 27, 2012

Late-night cravings

What dish contains beans, yams, coconut, bananas and milk?


It's halo-halo, that Filipino treat! (Of course, I can't forget the jackfruit and the ice!)

My mom used to make it for me all the time when I was younger. I remember her pulling 4 or 5 glass jars filled with gelatinous, starchy, or stringy ingredients out of the fridge, along with a big block of ice and a can of evaporated milk. I can't remember how she'd shave the ice, but I do recall the slightly crunchy texture, which was coarser than Hawaiian shave ice but much less rocky than an American snow cone.

I made a halo-halo for myself tonight, and dear ole hubs looked at it and headed right off to bed. Good thing too, because it was almost indecent how much I enjoyed it. I think he might have gotten jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment